Friday, August 1, 2008

August: Fun Extravaganza ~ Day One

The summer seems to be slipping away. Here it is August 1st already and I don't feel like we have been having enough fun! My kids are really young but I think I can be doing more to make this a great summer. Everyday this month, I am going to do a new fun activity, outing or experience with them. We are also going to do a Letter Of The Day and to help with that, I purchased the Leap Frog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Set. They loved it when I brought it out this morning, but I think I should have gotten two of them because there was lots of Anger because they both wanted to play with it at the same time. We have also been looking all over the house for things that start with A.


Apple
Ankle
Airplane
Artichoke
Raggedy Ann & Andy
Uncle Andrew
Ants
Arm
Azeroth

Our activity for the day was to make and play with Kool-Aid Playdough. I got this recipe from my friend and kindergarten teacher Gaylyn. It turned out great! We used some cookie cutters to make shapes. We were extra lucky today because Daddy surprised us and came home early so he played too.

What the heck is Daddy making....and what happened to the buttons on his shirt?

Mallory would rather eat the playdough...good thing it is non-toxic!

Alex did a great job!

Oh....it's a dog, or a horse or something!

Kool-Aid Play Dough

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 packages of Kool-Aid (flavor of your choice)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups boiling water

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

********

Mix dry ingredients

Boil the water and oil in a large pot, then slowly stir in the dry ingredients. It's going to look nasty and you'll probably think you've done something wrong, but just keep stirring on low heat, then all of a sudden it will start looking like play dough.

Store in disposable tupperware and enjoy.


I was visiting one of my favorite blogs, Savvy Housewife and she had a post about a great website called School Zone. There are so many great things for teaching kids there! I bought some learning flash cards for the kids....since we are getting started working on letters, shapes and numbers. I just love finding websites like this that will make teaching the kids easier for me.

Tune in tomorrow....we are going to the Beach!

6 comments:

  1. you have inspired me! I love the daddy pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome girl! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Azeroth!! Lol!!!!

    Looks like you had a great time, but what the hell is Kool Aid

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Jackie! I guess they don't have Kool Aid in the UK.

    I am going to find every flavor of Kool Aid and send them to you....Leo can not grow up with out the pleasures of Kool Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've made this recipe before but without kool aid. it smells kinda funny, but we love it! just use food coloring. i'll have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try to incorporate them into our Nanny time!

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!