Friday, August 15, 2008

Uh-Oh SpagettiO's

This is my weekend to do the food shopping for my family. Every two weeks, I go through all of my recipes and select a plethora of tasty meals to make for them. I put much thought into this and try really hard to make several new recipes a week.

I can no longer do this. There will be some changes around here......

On Tuesday, while I was grilling chicken and vegetables, Alex escaped from his spot on the couch where he and his sister were watching the Yo Gabba Gabba episode about sharing.

I found him upstairs, slathering Vaseline all over his legs and arms. Alex has very dry skin and we put special lotion on him everyday....apparently he needed more.

I chased him around the kitchen trying to remove as much Vaseline from his limbs as I could. Calvin came home in the middle of this and said he would handle it. I went back to preparing dinner.

I called them to the table and discovered that they had all been outside, under the deck in the dirt pile. Vaseline + Dirt = Mommy drinking Wine!

** ** ** **

Yesterday, I am grilling dinner again. This time the kids are outside. They have lots of toys out there and generally play nicely. I am in and out of the house...grilling and cooking noodles on the stove.

I come out and don't find the kids. I find them under the deck in the dirt pile....but at least there isn't any Vaseline involved so I let them play there.

A few minutes later, I come outside to find this.



And then Mallory fell....




And this is why we will be having SpagettiO's for dinner from now on.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my.

    Well, look at it this way: Spaghetti O's are cheap, so your grocery bill will drop. And the kid's behavior is actually a sign of intelligence.

    See? You have to find the good in everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just say that I don't know how you (and countless other moms) manage to make dinner with kids running around if dad isn't home yet. I thought Bella was getting independent enough and I was getting close to being able to make dinner before dad got home, and then I went and got pregnant. So, we've been eating dinner after 9 for the past 2 years! (I make Bella dinner before she goes to bed) Spaghettios is another great option :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think about the prepared foods section of the grocery store. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol very cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good Mom. The vaseline, dirt pile, and water - would have put me over the edge.

    Not a thing wrong with canned food or frozen fish sticks once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vaseline/Dirt situation did send me over the edge. I considered a big glass of grape juice but that was going to help no one.

    I am trying very hard to let the kids get dirty and not flip out. As much as I love Kate (from Jon and Kate +8) i do not want to be anti-messy play like she is.

    I went to the store last night and got some frozen things that supposedly cook in a skillet in 10 minutes. We will see how that works out!

    Thanks for all of the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit anti-messy play, so your attempt to let them be kids is really encouraging me. I just got home from a birthday party and my kids were the only ones wearing bibs. Pizza, icecream - no bibs? My heart does palpitations. I'm working on it with you!

    I am impressed that you EVER make dinner. Most of the time, I'm a cans and nuggets kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I completely understand. I get so nervous when my girls are QUIET when I am making dinner.

    I do have to admit, it sure looks like they had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha!!! Well all that money you save from feeding them Spaghetti Os can go to buying the extra laundry soap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - I have a friend I need to send over your way... her daughter just did the vaseline thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg is it wrong to laugh??

    oh and i loooove jon and kate plus 8. but you are right...she's too uptight. maybe i'd be like too if i had 8 kids tho...

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!