Friday, August 22, 2008

About Last Night....

I love Musicals! I was introduced to them for the very first time (kind of) on the most romantic night of my life. It was November 1, 2003....we had only been dating for a few weeks, when Calvin took me on a date in Downtown Denver. We ate a delicious meal at Gumbo's and then we walked to his favorite Irish Pub. We were wrapping up our evening and walking back to the light rail station when we passed The Hotel Teatro. I mentioned how I have always wanted to stay there. Next thing I knew, we were walking into the lobby and checking in!

The next morning, we happened upon the Denver Performing Arts Complex. We looked at the information on the upcoming Broadway Musicals and then Calvin purchased season tickets for us!

For three years, we attended all of the Broadway Musicals that came to Denver and even saw Mama Mia in New York. We loved dressing up and enjoying a night out on the town, going to our favorite restaurants before the show. I enjoyed this new part of my life so much and I would have never experienced it, if not for Calvin. He turned me into a thoroughly modern Connie!


That is why when I found out that my friend Loralee was performing in a production of Thoroughly Modern Millie at the Pickleville Playhouse in Bear Lake all summer, I knew I had to go.

Last night was the night. I had been giddy with excitement all day and couldn't wait for 4 pm to come around so that I could head up. I met Loralee at Costa Vida for dinner (YUMMY, Sweet Pork) and then we headed out to Bear Lake. It is such a beautiful drive and the Lake is the most amazing shade of blue!


Loralee had to be there early to do her hair, make-up and sound checks and she let me go backstage! I'm sure that she had no idea....but I was so happy and excited that I almost peed my pants! It was amazing to watch everyone getting ready and they were so nice to me. You heard me. Some Mormons were very nice to me. Here she is before the show...that would be TWO Diet Cokes in her hands. It is a dang shame there isn't a lick of caffeine in there. Pickleville Playhouse does not serve caffeinated beverages!


And here she is with Miss Flannery! Doesn't she look stunning?


Thoroughly Modern Millie is a great show. This cast is just wonderful. Everyone has the most spectacular voices and they are probably the best looking group of people I have seen in one place in Utah. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in a little cabin theater and not Broadway in New York! I waited patiently for Loralee to make her appearance and I was blown away. She is a classically trained Opera singer and she is amazing. And she is so dang funny! There was another character that I loved from this show. He played the role of Ching Ho and he is the cutest! Imagine if you will, someone 6 foot 4 inches tall, playing a chinese man. He totally pulled it off and I told Loralee that I might be crushing on him a little. Note to husband....I love you and would never run off with a cute little Mormon boy.

Well, Chistopher ended up needing a ride back to Logan and I found out he is 18, just graduated from high school and getting ready to go on his mission. That's right, I'm old enough to be his very young mother!

I staggered in the house at 1 am and dreamt about the show all night! I had so much fun and it was such a thrill for me to be backstage with all of these amazing people. It is an experience that I won't soon forget and one that I desperately needed. Being home with two small children can be very monotonous and sometimes you just need a little adventure to feel like yourself again.

Thank you Loralee for a great evening! I can't wait to see you in your next production.

Photo Credit

6 comments:

  1. You are just THE best. I had such a good time and everyone loved you.

    P.S.
    Tell your husband I'm not your imaginary friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story. I think we all need little escapes to remind us of who we are (I mean other than wife/mommy). Just one night to have fun with no responsibilities, no concerns for bath time, bed time, who brushed their teeth - and my current favorite: potty training.

    I love musicals too - but I grew up with the old school ones and am less familiar with Phantom and the like. So I immediately recognized the Thoroughly Modern Millie allusion. "thoroughly modern Connie" - I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie! It was SO great to meet you last night! I had no idea you were so excited to see the show...you almost looked nervous to be backstage! hehe.

    And don't worry, not ALL Mormons are meanies -- heck, I married one and he turned out okay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures!

    And culture - how I would love a taste of it these days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the movie Mamma Mia! recently and really enjoyed it! I can only imagine how much fun the musical is!

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!