Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Good American by Alex George

In the early 1900's my great grandparents moved to Northern Minnesota from Sweden.  I've always wanted to know what would bring a newly married couple to America to start a brand new life.  As it is there are very few pictures and even fewer documents.  Just old stories and a couple acres of land that are still the family today.



A Good American by Alex George is about a young newly married and pregnant couple that run away from Germany to America to start a new life and be a family. They find themselves in a German settlement in Missouri that accidentally becomes their home for the rest of their lives.

The narrator of this story is Jette and Frederick's grandson.  He tells their story and then his own.  Spanning over a hundred years, there are hard times and good times, love, loss and tragedy and a plot twist at the end that I didn't see coming. You will want to immediately re-read the book with the information you have just learned.  Mostly, you will want to loan your copy of this book to a friend so you can discuss it with them.

Join me and my friends at the BlogHer Book Club where we'll be discussing A Good American all this month.


This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. I saw your review on Goodreads for this - I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like it Sarah! You're a bit of a history buff like me.

      I just love historical fiction!

      Delete
  2. I wanna read it! I think I added it on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!