Thursday, July 17, 2008

Serendipity ~ A Love Story

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
~Albert Einstein


We met on eHarmony, in August 2003. Calvin was one of 10 guys that matched my personality profile. We emailed back and forth for a week or so and then we decided to meet at The Village Inn.

After three hours of drinking coffee and non-stop talking. I was smitten.

He called and asked me on a proper date. We met at Bennigans for drinks and the plan was to go to an Indian restaurant, then to a movie. We talked so long that we missed dinner and just headed to the movie. We saw the Kevin Costner blockbuster, Open Range...a romantic/drama/western. I kept wishing he would hold my hand. At the end of the night, he did kiss me goodnight and he asked if he could take me out for my birthday.

I said yes....

He took me to The Melting Pot and we had a great time! I was mesmerized by him and his stories. He looked so handsome and I thought to myself....I could listen to his man talk for the rest of my life. He came to my side of the booth for the dessert course and in between bites of melted chocolate and fruit....we made out like teenagers.

And then....

I didn't hear from him again. Days passed and he didn't call or email me. I became concerned because we had had such great times together and I really thought he liked me. I couldn't imagine that I was wrong.

He conveniently hadn't told me where he lived, so I couldn't stalk him. I finally sent him an email and asked him if he was dead. I had these visions in my head that he was laid up in a hospital bed somewhere and couldn't tell anyone how to contact me, since he didn't own a cell phone so he didn't have my number handy.

He was fine.

He told me that he was trying to decide between ME and two other women. I told him that was fine, figure it out, do what you need to do but I will warn you.....most men fall in love with me. Not to be narcissistic, but it is true. Men love me. I am a catch...that is why I have been caught so many times!

And then I still didn't hear from him and I started to get mad.

**************

My friend Misty and I were supposed to be going to our company picnic at Elitches. We both had worked that day and would just be going for a couple hours so we decided to bail on the picnic and do something else. We had a wild and crazy idea to go to a little mountain town called Evergreen (30 miles west of Denver). This is home to the world famous biker bar called The Little Bear !

Meanwhile, Calvin was out to dinner, hoping to run into some old friends. Amazingly, he did run into these friends and also met a woman at the bar who was meeting a blind date. He told her that if things didn't work out to come back to talk to him. He was such a ladies man! She came by later and dropped a napkin in his lap....it said, meet me in 10 minutes.

He left with her. She said they were going dancing and she wouldn't tell him where. She started to drive up into the mountains.....

I had been at The Little Bear for about 20 minutes when Calvin walked in the door with his whore 'date'. I was facing the door and through the crowd, we immediately locked eyes. It was like a scene out of a movie! I could not believe that he was there. What was he doing here,...of all places. Misty and I checked out the woman. She was thin, but old looking. We decided I was way hotter than her.



His 'date' went to the bathroom and he came over to me. Trying to be all smooth and flirty. I was brushing him off and Misty was telling him to buzz off. He was putting his hands in my pockets and I accused him of trying to steal my money. Finally, he went away, and I started doing shots of tequila.

But he was back a short time later saying that he couldn't find his harlot 'date'. He said her VW Bug Mercedes Convertible was no longer in the parking lot. She must have seen him pawing me and left him there. Then he had the balls to ask for a ride back to Denver. I told him to take a hike.

Turns out Calvin didn't have much cash on him and used all of his change trying to call his brothers to come get him. With his last 50 cents he placed a call to his ex-girlfriend, who eventually got ahold of his brother and relayed the predicament that Calvin was in.

His brother came....with his parents and their dogs. They even stopped at Taco Bell on the way and made a road trip out of it. Calvin was mortified.

*************

I called him the next day to see if he made it home okay because I was genuinely concerned for him. We talked about just being friends and we decided to watch the tv show ED together the following Wednesday.....

We both realized that there was no way that we could be friends. Fate had brought us together in Evergreen and he began to fall in love with me....just like I told him he would.

On December 13, 2003....Calvin proposed to me at the House of Wax in Dallas Texas... in front of my Mom and President Clinton. He even asked my Dad for my hand in marriage!

I said yes.....


****************
On a bright and sunny day in July, four five years ago.....



We joined our lives together for all of eternity. My parents gave me away for the last time in our backyard with our families and a few friends present. It was the perfect wedding for us. We spent our wedding night at The Hotel Teatro in Downtown Denver. That hotel is special to us and it was magical. We ordered room service, almost got stuck in the tub together and passed out too exhausted to consummate our marriage!

The last four years have been the most amazing of my life. I love this man more than I ever thought I could and I am happier than I have ever been. I have always believed in fate and that things happen for a reason and that true love is the most sensational feeling in the world. And that someday....all of my dreams would come true!

I finally found the man that I belong with and understand what love is really all about. Calvin and I are so good together, we come from similar backgrounds and have the same values and many of the same beliefs. And some of the things he does drive me bat-shit crazy! But he also makes me laugh so hard and I love talking to him and listening to what he has to say. I feel protected and loved beyond measure.

This is our song.



And then there are these two precious children that are here because fate brought us back to each other and we fell in love....




While the fates permit, live happily; life speeds on with hurried step, and with winged days the wheel of the headlong year is turned." -
-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

10 comments:

  1. That was beautiful Connie! Congrats on the anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Hey Bobbi...I got your card yesterday. Thanks for the reminder to use a condom this year! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even a "ladies man" has to settle down eventually... I got one of those - whom by the way is a big fan of yours since your comment on my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great love story. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sheesh.i fall off the planet for an eon, and you go and change your entire damn blog.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love stories, they are so unique and splendid. Happy Anniversary! p.s. you got engaged on my bday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! The 17th is my anniversary, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful story! Thanks for sending me the link!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!