1. I think the number one experience that's shaped me into the Mom I am today would have to be my childhood. My parents were very young and I'd like think that they did the best they could, but I want my kids to have a better life than I did. And I'm not even talking about material things, because I can't remember ever wanting for anything. I want them to feel special and loved beyond measure. I want to experience things with them and prepare them for life.
2. When I was growing up, I played house...a lot. I created a little house in our backyard and I think the family dog played the roll of my husband. It was always my dream to get married and have a family. I even named my future children....Paige and Penelope. Funny....I never dreamed of having a boy.
3. My first time that I had friends having babies was a powerful time in my life. My friend Anne had her first baby and I was able to experience her pregnancy with her. Watching Bryson grow from a baby to a toddler taught me so much and I love that kid like he's my own. A few years later, both of my best friends (and my boss) were pregnant at the same time. Even though I was struggling with infertility...I was so incredibly happy for them and when Anne was in labor with Coby, I watched Bryson and then brought him to the hospital to meet his baby brother for the first time. This may have been when I decided that my marriage was in serious trouble and I needed to get out. I wanted the family that Anne and Tim had...
4. In 2005, I had a miscarriage. Right before we left for our honeymoon trip to Disney World, we had an ultrasound and they couldn't find a heartbeat. They told me to come back after our trip because it might be too early but I knew. It was torture to be at The Happiest Place on Earth and know that my baby was gone. I couldn't get Calvin to understand that I knew...call it Mother's Intuition. It's a gift we all have and it taught me to listen closely to my gut.
5. April 20, 2006....the day my life changed forever. The experience of giving birth to my darling baby boy and then holding him for the first time was the most amazing experience of my life. Bringing our little bundle of joy home, caring for him and creating our family has given me more joy and purpose than I could have ever hoped for. Watching my kids grow is the most amazing blessing.
And now....Five Amazing Mothers!
Liz at Sugarplum Creations
Monica at Moon Over Maize
Jen at Harried Mom of Four
Vivienne at The V-Spot
Beth at Manic Mother
P.S. I hit a MAJOR milestone in my weight loss journey today!