Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm as Blue as Blue Valentine

I love indie films. I love that they can take chances with story lines and that they are rough and imperfect. iKeith hates indie films but will often watch them with me.  I love that about him.....

I've been waiting for Blue Valentine to come out for a long time. It was 10 years in the making and was screened at Sundance Film Festive last January. I'm a huge fan of Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling so that fact that these two brilliant actors are in the film made me want to see it even more.

It finally opened in Denver this weekend. iKeith took the Weiss Kids to the boat show so I took my chance to see Blue Valentine...alone.  This film is only playing in 4 theaters in the metro area and one of them is the fabulous Landmark at Greenwood Village. A little far for me to go for a movie but they have all you can eat popcorn and unlimited soda. They made a killing off from me because I was so riveted by the film that I never went back for seconds.

They also have a VIP experience which I will be partaking of next time (and arriving an hour early for) so that I can have a glass of wine and appetizers delivered to my leather, reclining love seat before the film begins.

I deserve the VIP experience.

I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone that wants to see it. I will just tell you that it's about a couple whose marriage is on the skids and how their story began. This film touched me because I've lived this story (minus having a child) and it was heartbreaking. What is unusual about this film is how it's effecting me hours later. I can't stop thinking about it and feeling really sad about what happened. I've cried three times since I've been home....and all I want to do is sit with a glass bottle of wine in the dark.

I don't recommend seeing this film if your marriage is on the rocks, you are prone to depresstion or you hate theme motels. And if an old lady sits next to you...move. There are some graphic sex scenes and you will be embarrassed for her. And for you.

But if you like complex stories that are told in an enlightened way with raw emotion and superb acting. Then run out now and see Blue Valentine.

P.S. Michelle William's needs a bra and a comb in this movie.  

12 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to see this movie! I've pretty much been in love with Ryan since The Notebook. And I think I deserve the VIP experience too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see this one, though it looks like it is definitely a watch w/o my husband movie! We won't get it here, will have to wait for the dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your last line.

    The A list celebrities slumming it in indie films (getting back to their roots or something) would annoy me if (1) their participation didn't help further the careers of others and (2) if I didn't think they actually kind of wish they were still in that world. Until the next time a high end jeweler lends them diamonds for their red carpet walk... It's nice to be able to have it all, no?

    But seriously - I LOVE indie films. I even like Michelle Williams now that she's gown out of her fat cheeked Dawson's Creek age. She had me at Brokeback Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this movie - but now I'm intrigued! And I'll definitely have to check out that theater in Greenwood Village! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well CRAP. It's probably not anywhere near me at all! Dang it, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a good movie and I love Ryan Gosling too! I'm not sure if they'll have it anywhere near me either but there's always Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way... the VIP experience sounds awesome! I wouldn't mind going to the movies if I got wine and apps! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never get movies like that here so I always have to wait for the DVD. And I always have to watch them by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Intense. J & I recently saw Black Swan and it was very intense. I can't wait to see it when it gets released on dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to see Black Swan, The King's Speech and True Grit before The Oscars! They are announced next week...we'll see what gets nominated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely watch this one - I heard it's SOOOOO good, if you can handle the heartbreak. I love movies that you still think about long after you are done watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would LOVE to go to a theater with the VIP experience, but not sure I could handle this movie right now. I'm in a funk and everything makes me cry - even commercials.

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!