Saturday, December 26, 2009

Focus on the Family: 2010

Did you have a fabulous Christmas? I know I did! I'm happy with my decision to take things down a knotch or two this year;  to do and buy less. The kids had a lot less presents...some people took me way too seriously and didn't send the kids ANY presents. These folks are now on Santa's naughty list....

This year has been challenging for me.  As my kids get older, they are requiring a lot more of my time and attention.  They are learning so fast and they need more of my guidance.  I've always wanted to give them the best childhood that I can and I'm committed to that more than ever.

It's also been a tough year for me emotionally.  My extended family has been broken and torn apart, and after much soul searching and discussion with Calvin, we've decided to just focus on our family and put the past behind us.  We will no longer tolerate bad behavior and sweeping things under the rug.  Our children deserve better.

I'm ready to put 2009 behind me and work on all the ways we can make 2010 the best year ever! And because I love a theme....I came up with one that explains everything that I want to do.


Here's what I'm going to do and if you like the idea...then I encourage you to make yourself a button (with your family's picture) and join me.  The first of every month...I'm going to post my goals for that month.  I'm splitting mine into categories....Family Time, Kid Time, Me Time and Couple Time.

Here's an example of what I'm working on for January:

Family Time....quality time together

  • Family Outing....Bowling at Fat Cat's
  • Game Night...Chutes and Ladders


Kid Time....play and preschool

  •  Play date with friends
  •  Visit the library
  •  Work on sight words


Me Time....cuz if Mama ain't happy....

  •  Sundance Film Festival
  •  Read Believe It, Be It by Ali Vincent
  •  Time for crafting...make a felt pillow


Couple Time....all because two people fell in love

  •  date night to be announced

I'm determined to make this year happy and positive, and for us to grow closer as a family and as a couple. I've been giving a lot of thought to the kind of mom and wife I want to be and it's time for me to take action. Our kids deserve quality time with us and we have so much to teach them.  I want to live intentionally and allow them to grow and thrive.  It's my own little happiness project!

Lastly, every month....I want to focus on gratitude.  The other night, I was standing in the kitchen drying the dinner dishes and Calvin came in and told me that he thinks I'm a wonderful Mom.  I broke down in tears because sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough and the days slip away from me.  In that moment....I was so grateful that I have a loving, thoughtful and generous husband.  I'm so thankful for every blessing that has come into my life since meeting him and making him my family.  Alex and Mallory are so lucky to have him for a Daddy.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.  ~  Gandhi

Okay...so that my plan but I encourage you to make your own to fit your family and your goals.  I'd love to have us all link up so we can share ideas and support each other.  What do you think?

Just a little reminder: The days are long, but the years are short.....

23 comments:

  1. Great idea, Connie!! I'm gonna try and do it with you! Thanks for encouraging us to focus on whats important...sometimes it's a little too easy to get lost in other things.

    Happy New Year!
    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I've been thinking about it a lot too. The whole month of December we really focused so much on family and activities and gratitude, and so on, and I've been thinking that we need to do this every day, not just for a specific amount of time. It's so easy for full days to slip away, especially when the kiddos are so young, that it's important to be deliberate in our actions.

    You can count me in!

    *And by the way, I hear ya on extended family issues. In the last few months it seems like mine is falling apart. It's getting harder and harder to explain all of it to my girls :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year, 2009, has been a year of great change for me and, as a reflection of that, our family. I hope to join you and continue the positive change we've had in our lives. Great post, Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the taking things down a knotch idea. It just gets to be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to join you in this! Now if I only knew how to make a button...
    Happy 2010, Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the Christmas drama that erupted with my extended family this year, I'm all for your idea. Now if I just knew how to make a button...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love your focus on the family theme and you have a great plan to make it work.

    Let me know if I can do anything to help support you- I'm with you 110%!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your idea and the family situation is so my story too.....but it was so much better....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Idea...You go woman! I am all about the positives for our kiddos and immediate family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. Sometimes time has passed and I try to think of what I have to show for it and realize that it is not a lot. Every day is the same, work, struggle, pay the bills, do the laundry, fix dinner. What are my kids really going to remember about me and about growing up? I want them to have quality memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are delightful and I am going to do this too.

    On another note...I just watched Teen Wolf with Michael J Fox and the penny finally dropped.

    Alex and Mallory? Family Ties? Am I slow?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful idea....if I can get my act together, I'll join in...but you know me well enough, I never have my act together. :)

    You are a wonderful Mom, I've never met you but I can see it in your writing. It's wonderful your husband voiced it...he's a keeper.

    Hope you had a fantastic Christmas and that they new year brings you all the happiness you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing idea!!! Though I already know from reading your blog that you ARE a FABULOUS Mom!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous idea... there's no substitute for spending time with the family and with the kids especially. I did that and I'm now reaping the rewards of my efforts in the past. My boys are teenagers now and they are the best kids a mom can have.

    Stopping by from SITS. Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww. You're a great mom and wife with some inspiring goals for 2010. Even if you didn't change a thing, you'd receive very high marks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mabybe I am a little over emotional right now but this is such a beautiful idea. It made me a little weepy. I think that I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Connie,
    Such a beautiful post, I literally cried when you thought that you weren't doing enough. I think you are such a wonderful mother. You always seem to put your children first, and I admire you for that.
    I think your plan is so wonderful and I will be right there with you. Even though my children are grown up, I'll be with you in the me time and the couples time.
    Bill & I were talking Christmas night about the horrible year we've been through and he said that he was glad he had me to go with it beside... I cried.
    Here's to 2010, the year of the Family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is a great idea! Im going to be making big changes for this coming year pertaining to my family and myself as well...I will be talking about all that this week too. I love all your goals and ideas of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea. And putting it in 'writing' or on a list puts it out there to remind me to DO these things. So yes! and too true, the days ARE long, and time flies...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this Idea!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!