Monday, April 23, 2012

How To Win The Science Fair


Five weeks ago, there was a school assembly about The Science Fair. My son came home so excited and pumped up that in a moment of duress, iKeith we agreed that he could enter.

I found out later that he just really wanted a T-shirt.  That would have been nice to know $75 ago.....

While on vacation, we discovered that he had a high interest in meteor craters which was convenient because we were visiting the Meteor Crater Museum on our trip.  We learned so much there and purchased some items for his display.

Somehow.....I was in charge of the display board, I was told it was because I am the creative one.  I read the rules 15 times because I didn't want to screw this up and it said that Kindergarteners can have lots of help from their parents.  They can purchase stuff, help them research stuff, purchase stuff, drive them around, buy them ice cream and print out their information on the computer.

What they don't tell you is that IF YOU WANT TO WIN, your child has to hand write everything.  Even if it takes them 5 weeks and their hand falls off.

My husband would also like you to know that my odd sense of humor could have been an issue.  But in my defense.....he agreed to the title and dismissed my other one which was....

Don't Be A Hater.....Come See My Crater!


Alex worked very hard on his project.  He built a meteor launcher out of legos and launched two size balls into flour to demonstrate his finding that larger meteors create larger craters.  


His project was the most played with and interactive project of the 13 Kindergarten Projects.  He also received handwritten feedback from two judges where most kids only had one.



And....the Principal's husband came to school on Friday to meet Alex and have him show off his project.  He only came to see Alex. 



We were flying high!  Our board was the prettiest (because I made it) and it was the tallest....because SIZE MATTERS.  Duh.  Alex was nervous all afternoon.  We kept him busy with his Grandpa and Aunt Bobbi who were  visiting.  

Did I mention it was also his 6th Birthday and Keith and I had volunteered in his classroom all morning?  

It was a very good day!

That evening.......was the open house and award ceremony.  I think these pictures of Mallory explain our emotions perfectly.


He didn't win.  

We are so proud of him and he can't wait to enter again next year.

He wants to build a volcano. 

Lord help me!


11 comments:

  1. Aw dang it that he didn't win! That was pretty darn awesome though. Great job to him and to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw his was so good though! and he was SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think he should have won! Does he at least like his t-shirt? ;o)

    Beware once they get into the older grades. Points actually get taken off if teachers think parents have assisted a little too much. We learned that the hard way in 2nd grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure which title I love more!! They're both friggin awesome!

    Sweet Mallory...just look at that face. That is a face of love!

    What fun. You're so good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love it!!!! The pictures of M are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He had fun and that is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love his project - how cool! He is going to be the one to beat next year for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But it was an awesome project anyway. And that's all that counts, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome project and what a great experience! Love those pictures of Mallory ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe dang! And yes that name is hilarious. Sounds like a great project to me- he totally should have won.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry! This is one Science Fair they'll never forget! I love M's face.

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!