Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gifts of Time and Other Things

I had a great post for you today with a little video.  But the vlogging gods are against me today or all of the folks in San Francisco at the WWDC are sucking the internet juice and making it impossible for me to upload a video.

Maybe tomorrow.

I've been wanting to write this post for a week now so I guess today is as good as day as any.  I've been on a Self-Help Book kick.  I'm always working hard to better myself and seek a better understanding of why I feel the way I do.

If you have any issues with shame or not feeling like you're good enough....you have to read Dr. Brene Brown's books.  The most recent book that I read from her was The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. It made me realize that I am enough just the way I am and that if people don't like who I am...that isn't my problem. I'm not everyone's cup of tea and that is okay!  I also learned that my past doesn't define me and that I can't let other people shame me into doing what they want.  My goal is to live a wholehearted and authentic life.


Because of this book...I'm reading more, creating more, reflecting more and loving the life that I've created for myself.

The next two books I had on hold at the library and they became available at the same time. They were perfect to read together and resulted in the creation of a time sheet that I fill out daily keeping track of what I need to do....and how I spend my time.

Daily Time Sheet

168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think helped me realize that I have much more time than I think I do.  Once I started writing down what I was doing each day and where I was spending my time....I was much more conscience of how much time I was wasting. I can easily lose several hours in front of the computer.  I decided what things are most important to me.  Creating with my kids, reading, sitting on the patio with a glass of wine and my husband.

I'm going to purchase a copy of Organized Simplicity because she has the best organizing tips I've ever seen! Her tag line on her book is...the clutter-free approach to Intentional Living. I love that!
She calls her sheet, her daily docket and I borrowed her MIT idea for my sheet. MIT stands for Most Important Tasks. I only make three a day so that I know that I can get them done and I love marking things off from a list!

The book that has made a huge difference in my life.  The final piece of the puzzle.  I truly believe that God put these books into my hands in the order that he did because he wanted to me to see where my time was going....and how there were things being neglected.  I was being neglected and I was neglecting him.  One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.  Time is racing away from me and how I spend my 168 hours each week is important.  I need to pay attention to the moments and thank God for them. The many gifts that are right in front of me each day....each week.

It's already been my goal to give my kids' the best childhood that I can.  To give them experiences and teach them lessons but there are so many little things that I wasn't noticing.  Things that you can only notice if you are still....and paying attention.  Living in the moment!


Many people want more time in their day....they don't have enough hours to get everything done. Are the items on your to-do list really that important? Here's what I want you to know.  You have all the time you need.....the trick is to do less, pay attention more and count your gifts.  And living in a 990 square foot apartment with less stuff is also very helpful!



"I'm sharing my awesome with Momma Made It Look Easy and you can too!

In case you missed it.....

Our 2011 Summer of Fun List
My Summer Reading List

14 comments:

  1. Loved this post. I'm always looking to better myself and manage my time better in my life. Like you I KNOW I spend way too much time in front of a computer and in general just being too connected.

    I spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer putzing around on the internet, do I really need to go home and spend another 4 hours on it? Probably not.

    I'm going to look into a couple of these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I waste SO much time. I really think I should shut my computer down during the day. But I'd also have to lock up my phone - baby steps I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I always try to improve and luckily there's TONS of room for improvement...

    Those titles sound very relevant to my situation, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brene Brown is fantastic! And I also need that organization book desperately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I think it is so important to be intentional and I NEVER am. I love the timesheet idea. I get so wrapped up in doing other things that I never do the things I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH - What a great post - especially after I just read MiMi's.

    I am in the middle of building a new blog and cleaning out my iPhoto and it is sucking all my time with my kids away from me.....

    Thanks for the reminder with a great post like this.

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also lover of self-help books, though that term makes me cringe. I just read the sample of Organized Simplicity and I'm hooked! Thanks for sharing this and It's All Too Much with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what an inspirational post, Todd. I mean CONNIE.

    I spend WAY too much time in front of this computer reading blogs and commenting. I'm trying to limit it to Emma's nap time but I have weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post and the video brought me to tears.

    i feel like i am wasting so much time doing things that are less important.

    i love that you are comitted to your children to give them the best childhood that you can.

    beautiful.

    i needed this. thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so easy to lose focus! Especially with Facebook/Twitter. These books look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all sound WONDERFUL and are going on my to-read list immediately! I had hear quotes from The Gifts of Imperfection before, but the others were new to me - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog today, sort of by accident (although I really don't believe in accidents) through MommaMadeItLookEasy.
    Your post was a HUGE reinforcement of some things that have been happening in my own life and in my own mind.
    I linked to your post in my own, so I hope you'll check it out. http://gleaninggrace.blogspot.com/2011/06/168-hours.html
    Thanks for sharing some inspiration for me today (I know you wrote it 2 days ago, but again, no accidents :-))
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard Brene Brown give the opening keynote at Blissdom and she blew me away. I went out to the Barnes and Noble table in the expo area and bought it right away. Admittedly I only got about a third of the way through it and just wasn't ready to make changes but I think I need to pick it up again and get down to business.

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!