Monday, February 1, 2010

Constellation Program....CANCELLED!

 I'm heartbroken and angry today because my husband's project that he's been working on for over three years is over.  Obama cancelled it.  Hours and hours of time away from our family, wasted.  Billions of dollars, wasted.  7000 people....out of work. 

I'm sick to my stomach because I have no idea what we will do now.

EDITED: I've talked to Calvin and he says that there is still budget money for 2010, so the layoff's won't be immediate.  We have to wait and see what happens which as you know is not my strong suit.  Also, Congress has to approve his plan. 



******

Statement from Charlie Bolden....NASA Administrator.

Now let’s discuss the Constellation Program. The Program was planning to use an approach similar to Apollo to return astronauts to the Moon some 50 years after that program’s triumphs. The Augustine Committee observed that this path was not sustainable, and the President agrees. They found that Constellation key milestones were slipping, and that the program would not get us back to the moon in any reasonable time or within any affordable cost. Far more funding was needed to make our current approach work.    The Augustine Committee estimated that the heavy lift rocket for getting to the moon would not be available until 2028 or 2030, and even then they found “there are insufficient funds to develop the lunar lander and lunar surface systems until well into the 2030s, if ever." So as much as we would not like it to be the case, and taking nothing away from the hard work and dedication of our team, the truth is that we were not on a path to get back to the moon's surface. And as we focused so much of our effort and funding on just getting to the Moon, we were neglecting investments in the key technologies that would be required to go beyond.

So this budget cancels the Constellation Program, including the Ares I and V rockets and the Orion crew exploration vehicle. NASA intends to work with the Congress to make this transition smooth and effective, working responsibly on behalf of the Taxpayers.

With my deepest gratitude, I commend the hard work and dedication that thousands of NASA and contractor workers have given to Constellation over the last few years. Their commitment has brought great value to the agency, and they will have a pivotal role to play in our future path. Many of the things we've learned will be critical as we move forward. Norm Augustine and his blue ribbon panel of experts, whose advice the President wisely sought, gave us some options for a different path. From those, we have built the path that we are taking.

25 comments:

  1. Oh Connie. I am so sorry! I will be saying lots of prayers for you guys. Praying for direction, guidance, and peace.

    ♥Hugs to you♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Connie...that really sucks! Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT! So are you guys out of a job ASAP??

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO! You are absolutely kidding me! I know this is something that you've been a little worried about, I can't believe it's really happening. You continue to be in my prayers, Connie. I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no! Thinking good thoughts for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweetie, I am so sorry.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, Connie, to hear this. Prayers that "calvin" will be able to keep his job long enough to find something new and better. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Connie, so sorry to hear this. I had it in my head you guys were good to go after the last scare.
    I will be saying prayers for you and your family. I hope it doesn't pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Connie, I am so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Connie. I have a friend in Houston that works for a contractor and all of their work comes from NASA, and a large part of the Houston economy is affected by the NASA budget so I can understand a little bit about where you are coming from. A very sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, what horrible news for your family!! I'm glad there will be a bit of time for you to catch your breath before your husband has to start a job search.

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no! This is terrible!! I would hate having to "wait it out" too!! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saying a prayer that the budget is approved so Calvin has all year to find another job. So very sorry. I know you must be very stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following from Twitter...so love your blog!! I will be coming back...stop by & visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That totally sux! How frustrating to give your all & sacrifice for nothing. Hope this turns around for Calvin, you & your family. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for your family and other affected by this...such a shame

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no... I am so sorry to hear about this. How frustrating. :-( I'll be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am hoping and praying for you and Calvin that as one door closes, another, better one will open. Hang in there, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh goodness, I am praying for you in this situation!! All you can do it trust that there is a plan in place here.

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I can imagine how disappointing it must be work so hard on something just to see it not come together as hoped.

    Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry Connie! That is terrible. Thinking of you!

    ((Hugs))
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Connie!!! That sucks big time! I'm sorry to hear this, but perhaps this is part of what will get you back to Denver...?

    NoBama. I don't like him much. All talk and style, no plan or substance. (...And I'm a Democrat!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry, Connie. I'm behind on blog reading... Let's hope things work out and the "right" things get approved. XO

    ReplyDelete
  24. Connie, I am so sorry. hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Connie, that made big news down here in central Florida also and I immediately thought of you and Calvin and said a prayer for your family. You have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since. I so hope things go well with you and that Calvin is able to keep his job. I know how much time and effort he put into this project and I was SO proud of him when the I saw the rocket launch from my front porch. Please know I will continue to be here for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!