Ever since my recent renovation of our basement into a playroom, I have struggled with leaving the children down there unattended for short periods of time while I run upstairs for drinks/snacks/laundry and during dinner time when I have something about to come out of the oven.
I came up with a solution the other day for my dinner time dilemma. I set up Calvin's laptop in the playroom and then did a video conference with my computer near the kitchen. I could see and hear what the kids were doing and still be near the kitchen to hear the timer. Alex was so funny. He knew I could see him so he kept running up the stairs to see himself in the playroom but obviously he wasn't there!
Today, I decided to make blueberry muffins for lunch and during the 15 minutes that it took me to prepare the batter and fill the cups, I could hear the kids laughing and talking to each other. I thought they were in the basement playroom but I was wrong.
They were upstairs in our master bathroom, in the tub, running cold (THANK GOD) water. By the time I found them, there was about 3 inches of water in the tub and Alex had my razor in his mouth.
I silently removed them from the tub and wrapped them in towels. I wasn't mad and I didn't yell. I was terrified about what could have happened and with tears in my eyes I removed their wet clothes and told him to never take a bath without Mommy ever again. And that I would be devastated if something happened to them.
And then I prayed.
I thanked God for watching out for my family and for turning them away from the hot water and letting me get to them before something bad happened. And then I promised to watch them more closely.
We ate muffins with Daddy, who was working from home and then Alex disappeared from the table. Still shaken from the tub incident, I went looking for him and found him in our guest room with the mini blind cord around his neck.
LORD...I get it! Please stop testing me!
I sat down with the kids to play cars before nap time and the news was on. They were doing a segment about household dangers for children. There is a family in Utah that is missing their 18 month old son today because a TV fell on him. I realize that I have become lax with my children. I'm not being as careful as I should be and I need to do something about it.
I just spend the afternoon nap toddler proofing my house with this safety check list.
These little people are so curious right now and they can get into trouble so fast it is scary! Do me a favor and print off the checklist and make sure your house is in good order. One of my biggest mistakes is that we never baby/toddler proofed the guest room because it is a room that is never used.
And this concludes my public service announcement....I'm going to have a glass of wine now!