Tuesday, September 8, 2009

19 years ago today...

It was a beautiful day for a redneck wedding and Bobbi and I went to the hairdresser to have our tresses curled and sprayed into pretty cascades of blonde hair. I remember driving us out of town to the church in Kersey and being nervous.

Much of my extended family had come to Colorado for the big event and I was happy that all of my Grandparents had travelled long distances to spend this special day with me.

My Grandma Evelyn helped me into my borrowed dress and veil in the church's nursery and she pointed out the fact that I did not fill in the top of the dress. I clutched my silk flowers and fully thought I might be sick.

My husband to be...had broken his wrist while working as a cement truck driver and his funny Mom wrote THIS LEFT on his cast...I would laugh at this during the ceremony and it would keep me from crying. I could also hear 15 year old Bobbi chomping on her gum.

We left the church as husband and wife...in a Gold Trans Am with cans tied to the bumper and soaped up windows. My Mustang was also decorated (they didn't know which car we would take to the reception) and my Uncle and Cousin would end up driving it...getting funny looks from people. They surely thought his daughter was his young bride!

We had a small reception with goodies purchased from Sams club and served punch because I was underage. My colors were pink and light green.


My cousin Jenny agreed to be my guest book attendant. This was exciting to me because that meant I had TWO people in my wedding party.

those pearls between my eyes made me cross-eyed

That night several of my friends and family would go to Bruce's Bar in Severance. We ate Rocky Mountain Oysters and danced to a live band....until 8Pm when the bride had to leave because she was only 19 years old. This was our song and should have been my first clue that things might not work out. My boss at the store sang this song during our wedding. I would listen to it over and over and think what a bullshit situation I'd gotten myself into. Til my death? Seriously? Love is blind....

****
I met my ex-husband on the Fourth of July at the Independence Stampede Dance. He was wearing a hat from the Auto Parts Store where I worked and I pestered him to tell me how he got the hat. He had just gotten out of the Army and wasn't interested in talking to a youngster me so I hooked up with his step-brother. I would date him for 3 months, until he realized that dating an older woman when you're a senior in high school isn't cool.

Two weeks after that break up...Dean asked me out and I said yes. His brother was not pleased and I thought we might end up on Jerry Springer. We married 11 months later after a whirl wind courtship.

We lived in the country, had a black lab named Sam, went deer and goose hunting and I drove a 68 Dodge Powerwagon with a Pheasant skin on the dash. I might have been a redneck....

Happily Ever After was not to be...we divorced in 1994 and we have never spoken again. Through the grapevine I would find out that he got back together with an old girlfriend and adopted her daughter. He is now a grandfather and recently had his 19 month old granddaughter autographed by a hockey player. I googled him okay.

28 comments:

  1. Oh Connie -- what a difference your life now if compared to then... I love your dress and veil. I had very similar ones - we celebrated our 19th anniversary in May.

    I loved reading about this younger you. I feel like I know her so well through the Connie Diaries.

    Have a good day!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, especially as a recent divorcee! Makes me think I am going to do a post on what would be my 10 year anniversary this month! I was also 19 when I got married... WAY TOO YOUNG!

    Thanks!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I got married the 1st time in '86 and divorced in '90. The groomsmen wore the Miami Vice collection tuxes in raspberry and white. All of my bridesmaids wore raspberry dresses and white pumps and had their hair French braided. AHHH. Those were the days, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are priceless, omg the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I totally think that you got the better end of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bahhhhhaaahhhhaaa!!!

    Love it...I love that you can poke fun of a yucky situation like that one!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo's were so fun to see. Sounds like your life has changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got married at 18, 19 years ago. Wow. I totally remember those fluffy veils and I'm so glad I didn't get one with the pearls. That would have drove me bananas. And I DID fill out my dress. Do you know how hard it was to find a dress without huge puffy sleeves back then? Very.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so funny! I celebrated 19 years this year too. I was 20 when we married and I filled out my dress nicely due to the fact that I was preggers for baby #2. Ahhh life....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that's not Calvin so I can laugh at the picture without feeling badly, lol. I had no idea you were married before.

    Had his granddaughter autographed, huh? Now that is classy, lol. I'm glad you found your Prince Charming in the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Priceless. You have the absolute best attitude and nothing cracked me up today as much as your google-provided nugget about your ex getting his granddaughter autographed. That says it all. But I also have to mention that I never would have noticed that the pearls made you look cross-eyed (they didn't, really) because I was mesmerized by your cousin truly splendid bangs and pompadour combo. Got. To. Love the '80's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been through so much to get where you are now and I have to say, I think you made all of the right choices. Look at your beautiful family now! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw your status on Facebook today but just had a chance to read your post. Too funny! Thanks for sharing the pictures -- what a day too remember. You crack me up, Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm divorced too! in 1999 after 4 yrs of marriage. HS sweethearts since i was 14, blah, blah, blah. it was ... whatever. recently found him via FB and it was funny but his email made me want to start fighting with him all over again.

    in response to your post on my blog i have to know how you ALMOST got on oprah. damn the terrorists!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man too funny! Diggin the mullet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Connie! The part about going cross eyed was hysterical! I didn't know you were so young when you married him. Glad you got out and are exactly where you are today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the pics! And I respect your ability to reflect on a situation and recognize it for what it is, and move on. Good for you girl! Now, if my little one tries to convince me at 19 she's ready for marriage I'll call you, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did look so young! I think the baubles between the eyes would make me cross eyed too!
    You've got a very strong spirit! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, how things work out in the end...

    love the pics!!! Yeah.. my eyes were crossing just LOOKING at the pearls in the middle of your head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The mullet and veil are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The hair says it all, but I can't believe it was 1990, that does not seem like very long ago to me! So glad the hair style trends have changed since then!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This made me laugh and sigh a little. We all have such rich stories, but your sense of humor makes your stories shine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Connie, I loved the wedding pic-especially the mullet! When my husband and I were married it was HE that had to have his dad sign because he was underage, although we were both the same age! How time does change things. Aren't you glad you have those two cute little ones now! Maybe it was meant to be. Do you live in Ogden?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - you really were a child bride... I'm glad you got a do over wedding (and marriage!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. O.K., Connie, you SOOOO made out on the deal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what memories, you crack me up too! I can't imagine getting married at 19 ...you looked so young! And he's a grandfather now ... sort of shudder over that...

    I think if I'd married the guy I was dating at 19, we probably would have divorced too. He was so not good for me. And he's found me on facebook now. Great.

    I met my husband when I was 21. When my real life began. We've been together ever since and just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this year. I think I'm officially old now.

    Happy weekend, Connie, glad I found you through SITS!

    ReplyDelete

I love you. You are my best friend! Your hair looks fantastic today!